Summer brings higher temperatures, but don’t let your energy bills increase, too. A household fan is your best bet for keeping your home cool in the summer heat. In general, fans cost only a few cents per day to run. If you move the fan from one room to another, you won’t have to intensify your home’s air conditioning.
There are many types and designs of fans and it’s best if you choose one that matches your room and needs. For larger spaces, a powerful floor fan is practical and effective in moving a lot of air.
Tower fans provide a smaller footprint but are suitable for anyone who needs to save space. During the night, window and box-type fans are known to bring in fresh air from the outside.
Top 5 Bestseller Fan Wirecutter
For small offices and bedrooms, desk and tabletop fans are the best options. In addition to your needs, you need to consider how much noise you can tolerate. There will always be white noise, but clunking, grinding or squeaking are different.
Here is a selection of the best fans for every budget and lifestyle.
Top 7 Best Fans Reviews
Vornado 660 Whole Room Air Circulator
- POWERFUL VORTEX ACTION — Utilizes Vornado's signature Vortex air circulation to more effectively move air throughout the entire room
- SIMPLE CONTROLS — The 4-speed push-button controls are easy to use and are conveniently located on the top of the circulator
- MULTI-DIRECTIONAL AIRFLOW — Equipped with a stylish chrome glide bar that allows you to direct the air where you need it
Honeywell’s HT-900 TurboForce is smaller than Vornado’s 660. This fan measures 11 x 6.5 x 11 inches and costs less than the Vornado 660, so it is a good budget option. According to owners, the Honeywell HT-900 effectively moves air in small to mid-size rooms.
The fan features three speeds and is easy to use, but some users complain that the location at the rear is awkward. It doesn’t have an oscillation feature or remote, but it can pivot up and down up to 90 degrees. Depending on how you place the fan, you can experience better air circulation.
Black or white housing is available for the Honeywell HT-900. Plastic is used, but its grill is easy to bend, so caution should be used with children and pets when using it. Besides the one-year warranty, the fan also includes free shipping.
Honeywell HT-900 TurboForce Air Circulator Fan
- Small Fan for Table or Floor: The Honeywell Turbo Force Air Circulator Fan Has 3 Speeds & a 90 Degree Pivoting Head; This Quiet Fan Is Compact Enough for on a Table or Wall Mount & Powerful Enough to Help Provide Comfortable Cooling in Small Medium Rooms
- Feel the Power; Honeywell's TurboForce line of fans have an aerodynamic turbo design to maximize air movement, offering the power for intense cooling or energy saving air circulation; The ease of a small fan with power you can feel from 27 feet away
- INCREASE YOUR COMFORT: Using fans for air circulation in your home can help increase your comfort, and help reduce energy costs as well; Honeywell carries a range of tower fans, floor fans, and oscillating fans find one for every room in the house. 185 CFM for optimal comfort
Honeywell’s HT-900 TurboForce is smaller than Vornado’s 660. In addition to measuring 11 x 6.5 x 11 inches, this fan costs less than Vornado 660, making it a good budget alternative. Honeywell’s HT-900 is effective at circulating air in small and mid-size rooms, according to owners.
The fan features three speeds and is easy to use, but some users complain that the location at the rear is awkward. Neither an oscillation nor a remote control is provided, but the device can pivot 90 degrees. Depending on how you place the fan, you can experience better air circulation.
This Honeywell HT-900 is available in either black or white housing. Plastic is used, but its grill is easy to bend, so caution should be used with children and pets when using it. Besides the one-year warranty, the fan also includes free shipping.
Seville Classics UltraSlimline 40 in. Oscillating Tower Fan
- 4 ultra-quiet speed settings: High, Medium, Low, energy-saving "Eco"
- Steel air intake grill is designed for high performance with maximum airflow and minimal air resistance, reducing the amount of noise generated at all speeds.
- Oscillates side-to-side for a full 75 degrees of movement and fast-spreading, powerful air movement; space-saving compact design takes up of less than 1 sq. ft.
A tower fan would be the best choice for you if you prefer to have less space taken up by your fan. The Seville Classics UltraSlimeLine Tower Fan moves more air compared to other fans, according to tests conducted by The Sweethome. This tower fan can easily cool a large area with a 40-inch height.
The best thing about this tower fan is that it has many features. With a long-range remote control, it oscillates and has four-speed settings. With its energy-saving setting and timer, the air conditioner not only beats the summer heat but also saves you money! With the timer, the fan can be set to turn off after 30 minutes up to 7 1/2 hours.
Black housing and a steel grill adorn this tip-resistant tower fan. This gadget only takes up a little space, so you can place it almost anywhere in your house. The fan is relatively quiet, but on oscillation mode, you’ll hear a bit of squeaking or clicking, which is the only complaint customers have about the product. The warranty period for this Seville tower fan is one year.
Holmes 20-inch Box Fan
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
Because of their versatility, traditional box fans are one of the most popular fan types. Besides being placed on the floor, box fans can also be placed in a window to draw fresh air into a room. With added simplicity and durability, the Holmes 20-inch Box Fan has become one of the top box fans on the market.
The three speeds can be selected by users. The speed dial is located at the back center of the fan, which some users find good, but most think it’s better at the top. In addition to detachable feet, Holmes added a floor base to provide increased stability. Although box fans are not completely silent, this fan is tolerable. The front grill can be easily removed for easy cleaning.
Featuring a slightly rounded square frame, this 20.50 x 20.50 inches box fan is available in black or white and includes a one-year warranty. There’s more – it comes with a handle so you can carry it easily and a cord wrap for tidy storage.
Dyson Air Multiplier AM06 Table Fan, 10 Inches, Black/Iron
- Engineered to create powerful airflow using less energy
- Engineered to create powerful airflow using less energy
- Sleep timer fan can be programmed to turn off after pre- set intervals ranging from 15 minutes to 9 hours
A Dyson Air Multiplier AM06 is the smartest choice when spending big for a fan won’t be a concern. Design enthusiasts will appreciate its sleek and avant-garde appearance. This table fan is the best for cooling small spaces, according to customer reviews.
Dylan designed this table fan with a lot of amazing features therefore, it is worth the price. With its 10 airflow settings, you can experience cool air. The device oscillates and has a touch tilt feature, too. The fan comes with a magnetized remote control that can be stored on the fan itself. In addition, Dylan’s AM06 has a sleep timer that can be set from 15 minutes to 9 hours, and when the fan accidentally tips, it shuts off automatically.
With its avant-garde bladeless design, this table fan is safe for children and pets. Furthermore, you get rid of the cumbersome grill and blades. To clean the fan, use a soft cloth to remove dust and gunk. The quiet way in which this one runs is great for light sleepers or those in your family who are sensitive to noise.
Three color combinations are available: white and silver, black and nickel, and iron and blue. Dylan Air Multiplier AM06 also has an oval multiplier above its round base, like other Dylan fans. With its 12 inch width, 20-inch height, and 5.5-inch base, this fan is perfect for desk and tabletop use. Dylan AM06 fans come with a two-year warranty, unlike most.
Holmes Twin Window Fan with Comfort Control Thermostat
- Designed to fit into most double hung and slider windows (Measures approximately 13.3" x 25.5" x 6")
- Adjustable extender screen and bonus extender panel help to secure fan into larger windows (Can extend up to 37" with extenders)
- Dual blade operation with idependent electronically reversible motors allows for air intake, exhaust, or air exchange for full room circulation
Holmes is one of the most cost-effective window fans on the market. On cool nights, it serves as a cost-effective alternative to air conditioners to circulate air within large rooms efficiently.
The Holmes Twin Window Fan with Comfort Control Thermostat comes with great features that make every dollar you spend worthwhile. Three-speed settings, a dial thermostat, and LED controls to ensure light sleepers won’t be disturbed. The fan blades can be changed to perform different functions. As well as bringing in outside air and letting it out inside, it can do both simultaneously. Furthermore, each fan can be controlled individually, adding to the convenience. In addition to its water-resistant motor, Holmes window fans feature sturdy construction.
Most reviews said the window fan is quiet enough for use in a bedroom, but some indicated that it can be a bit noisy at higher speeds. Holmes’ twin window fan has dimensions of 25 inches across by 12 inches high. Additionally, it has an expandable screen of up to 35 inches. The white housing of the fan is suitable for white window frames. Customers can enjoy a three-year warranty on this product.
Vornado Zippi Personal Fan
- QUIET OPERATION — Soft nylon blades quickly and quietly propel the air but are safe to touch while the fan is in motion
- SIMPLE CONTROLS — The 2-speed manual control is easy to use and allows you to dial in your comfort
- MULTI-DIRECTIONAL AIRFLOW — Equipped with an adjustable tilt head that allows you to direct the air where you need it
A Vornado Zippi Personal Fan is a desk fan that’s ideal for users who like to feel cool air while they work. A powerful, quiet, and compact design makes Vornado’s Zippi a perfect desk companion.
The size of this desk fan is 6 by 4.5 by 5.5 inches, occupying a small amount of desk space. Zippi’s blades are made of soft-touch nylon so you won’t hurt yourself if you touch them accidentally while it’s running. There are two speeds available and you can move the fan head to direct the air as desired. Additionally, Zippi is built with a foldable frame that makes it convenient to carry when you’re traveling or even just going from home to work.
There are five colors available: white, black, blue, pink, and green. Match your desk to the one you choose. There is no noise from this desk fan when you’re working, so you won’t be distracted. Despite some reviews saying that Zippi fails to function after some time, this product has a three-year warranty.
Read more: Best Portable Air Conditioners