Although this is a guide on the best breast pump by wirecutter, to be honest, my first experience with manual breast pumps was not very good: no matter how hard I tried and how bad it was, there was no way to express milk and on top of that, I ended up with the mangled hand of hit the damn crowbar.
I thought this pumping thing was not for me, but after learning a bit and asking the pediatrician and several mothers, I realized that I had not chosen the suitable model.
Now I am delighted with the new breast pump that I have, which is luxurious and has gotten me out of more than one and two troubles.
Top 5 Bestseller Breast Pump
This guide will help you with the process of choosing your breast pump to avoid wasting your money with a useless device or getting frustrated thinking that you are the only one who cannot use one.
You will also find recommendations and characteristics of the manual breast pumps best valued by pediatricians and mothers (with options for all budgets). I hope this can help you!
Top7 Best Breast Pump Reviews
Philips Avent Breast SCF330/30 Pump Manual, Clear
- More comfortable pumping position due to unique design.
- Soft, textured massage cushion helps stimulate milk flow
- Compact, lightweight design of the pump body makes it easy to hold and position on your breast
Like the rest of the Philips Avent brand models, these breast pumps have been designed with a total focus on comfort and ease of use.
Like their electric cousins, they have a massage cushion in the cup that is very pleasant to the touch and facilitates the extraction, stimulating milk flow. Besides, the milk flows perfectly into the collector (bottle) even if you sit upright without leaning forward. This adds even more convenience to the extraction process.
On the other hand, its small size and lightness will allow you to take it everywhere easily. They are assembled in just 3 steps, have a few parts, and the best thing all parts can be washed in the dishwasher. Enough things we pass by hand every day!
I also like the fact that the parts are standard for all Avent food products. Thus, you could use, for example, the bottle of this breast pump in an electric one.
In the box of the SCF330/30 model comes the breast pump with a collection bottle that serves as a bottle, an extra-soft silicone nipple, and a sealing disk so you can store the milk. It also includes 2 packs with 2 samples of absorbent pads for day and night.
The main drawback that I see with this breast pump is the bottle’s capacity (bottle) which is 125 mL, a tad fair for my taste.
Also, the good thing about these glasses is that the lid is anti-fun, so even if you put it in your bag, for example, not a drop comes out. The pack also includes the silicone nipple.
- Massage cushion
- Different cup sizes to choose from
- Standard parts for all Avent food products
- Dishwasher safe parts
- The lever may make some noise
- Justillo bottle size (in SCF330/30 model)
Medela Harmony Manual Breast Pump
- Light and discreet: our new Medela harmony manual pump can easily fit into your handbag so you can take it almost anywhere and pump
- Flex Technology: unique 105-degree angle, oval shape, and soft rim offer a better fitting breast shield for optimal comfort while pumping and more milk per session
- Research-based technology: our manual breast pump uses 2 phase technology to mimic natural baby sucking behavior at the mother's breast
This breast pump is the main competitor to the Philips Avent models that we have just seen in terms of quality and satisfaction of the mothers who have used it. Medela is a leading brand in baby products, one of its main strengths being breast pumps.
The main differential characteristic of this breast pump is that it has two-phase extraction technology that will allow. You to perform faster and easier extractions thanks to the handle with two positions that very well mimic the way your baby would suck:
- In the stimulation phase, which facilitates the descent of the milk, the short part is used to produce quick and sharp movements
- The long piece is used in the extraction phase, which has longer and slower suctions to help the milk flow.
For this reason, it is a very comfortable breast pump to use since it allows you to control both the force and the speed of the extraction.
Continuing with the handle, its ergonomic shape also stands out, which will make your extractions more comfortable and will avoid ending up with a sore hand at the end of each extraction.
It is pretty compact and light and straightforward to assemble, making it an excellent option to use anywhere. To this must be added that it is very silent, so you can use it anywhere without becoming the center of attention.
Another point for convenience is that all parts are dishwasher safe, saving you time and effort. Also, I’m a big fan of the Calma teat included with the breast pump.
This nipple mimics the nipple not only in the way but in that your baby will have to strain to express the milk from the bottle (as he would when sucking on the breast). Thus, you reduce the possibility that your little one gets used to the baby too soon and does not want to suckle.
Along with the Calma breast pump and nipple comes an extra bottle and a base that allows you to hold the bottle if you need to stop at some point during the extraction, avoiding spills.
- Quick and easy extraction thanks to its 2-phase technology
- too quiet
- Various cup sizes available
- Dishwasher safe parts
- Price somewhat higher than other manual breast pumps (although justified)
- 5 pieces
Bellababy Double Electric Breast Feeding Pumps Pain Free Strong Suction Power Touch
- 🎄 Come with 2 pcs of milk bag adapters and 10 pcs of storage bag,moms can express to the milk storage bags directly by the adapters.BPA and Phthalates Free
- 🎄 Closed System,4 modes and 9 levels of suction for choice,massage and stimulate breasts before pumping,comfortable and pain free.
- 🎄 High Definition Screen,display the working mode,suction level,time and battery status clearly
The first thing that I would highlight about this breast pump is its price: it is the cheapest option you will find in the market while maintaining good quality.Its lightness is also relevant, making it an ideal choice if you intend to use the breast pump for travel.
Besides, it incorporates a gel massage cushion in the cup to increase the comfort of the extraction. Added to this is the ergonomic handle, which facilitates movements and allows one-handed use with little effort.
- Very cheap
- Compact and lightweight
- Ergonomic handle
- Somewhat slower than other manual breast pumps
- Cup a little small
Chicco Natural Feeling Breast Pump Manual
The well-known Italian brand for children Chicco has renewed its manual breast pump to achieve a more ergonomic handle and a more comfortable silicone cup that adapts very well to most breasts. The cup has silicone spiral ripples that massage the breast to help the milk flow with a soft and pleasant touch.
In this way, Chicco has managed to improve its breast pump and make it one of many mothers’ favorites. It also highlights the valve that helps to regulate the intensity of the extraction, adapting it to your needs at all times.
As you already know, another point that adds comfort for me is the possibility of putting the pieces in the dishwasher, and here Chicco does not disappoint us either.
The breast pump is compatible with Chicco bottles. It also comes with a nipple to breastfeed your little one directly from the collecting bottle at the end of the extraction.
This breast pump’s weak point is that it is a bit heavier and bulkier than the other models that we have discussed. Therefore, if you are going to use it a lot outside the home, it may not be the most suitable option.
- Very comfortable cup and soft to the touch
- Possibility of regulating the intensity of extraction
- Adaptability to most breasts
- Dishwasher safe parts
- Less lightweight than other manual breast pumps
Tommee Tippee Made for Me Double Electric Breast Pump – USB Rechargeable, White
- Designed for busy moms: smaller, lighter, and significantly quieter than other double pumps. Option to use as a single or double pump
- Truly portable and compact: USB-rechargeable so you can use whenever and wherever-at home or on the go-or while charging for maximum flexibility
- Massaging comfort: Soft, cushioned silicone cup that's gentle on sore breasts and stimulates milk flow
This breast pump is another great option in the middle price range with good performance and quality. Made up of only 3 pieces, it will be straightforward to assemble and clean.
The cup is soft and smooth and has a massage cushion, thus favoring the milk’s quick and comfortable exit. Also, it is discreet and silent, something that you will especially appreciate if you ever use it outside the home and do not want the noise of the device to make you the center of attention.
The breast pump comes with a bottle, a container to store the expressed milk, a box to sterilize it in the microwave, and 6 disposable absorbent pads. And all parts are dishwasher safe – another plus for Tommee Tippee!
Besides, the “Collect and Protect” system allows you to express the milk directly into the container that you can then cover and store comfortably in the fridge.
Overall, the feedback from mothers who have tried it is comfortable to use and easy to assemble and clean at a very affordable price. If you want to know more, you will find the opinions they have left about this breast pump on Amazon.
However, compared to other models discussed, for my taste, it is a tad heavy to carry around loading it up and down, so I would recommend it to do extractions at home. On the other hand, the cup is quite large, so it may not be the most suitable model if you have small breasts.
- Complete pack
- Easy to assemble and clean (safe dishwasher parts)
- Somewhat slower than other manual breast pumps
- A little heavy,
- Large cup (not recommended if you have small breasts)
Electric Breast Pump Rechargeable Double Pumps Portable Powered Breast Pump
- 【High Efficiency & Easy to Use】Turn on the electric breast pump and automatically start a gentle pacing mode to stimulate milk flow. It pumps more milk in less time thanks to its 3-phase expression technology.
- 【USB Rechargeable Battery Powered Breast Pump】Travel-ready at short time, including a USB charger and built-in lithium battery with large capacity (INPUT: 5V/1A) . A full charge takes about 1.5 hours and can be used 3-4 times.
- 【3 Modes & 9 Levels】Automatic breast pumps have 3 modes(Massage, Suction, Bionic), also contains three tubes - Double & Single, give more choices to new mothers. Meet all your needs.
Who said that cheap is synonymous with simple? With his Piaek breast pump, he proves that economical and complete can go hand in hand.
And is that this breast pump has 9 suction levels to adapt the extraction process to your needs as much as possible, without neglecting comfort, thanks to its pleasant massage cushion that stimulates the breast, facilitating the rise of the milk.
Besides, it is a very silent breast pump, ideal for not attracting attention while you pump and disturbing the little one as little as possible. And all this for less than $ 50. Without a doubt, the best option for tight budgets.
- Extraordinary adaptability: 9 suction levels
- Very nice massage system
- Not recommended for widespread use
- The engine could be more powerful
Organic Nipple Butter Breastfeeding Cream by Earth Mama
- USDA CERTIFIED ORGANIC: Earth Mama’s Organic Nipple Butter is USDA Certified Organic, made with herbs and oils that are traditionally used to soothe and moisturize hard-working nipples.
- NO petroleum, NO preservatives, and NO lanolin: Our calendula cream is safe for mama and baby so no need to wash or wipe it off before nursing your newborn child to make feeding a breeze.
- TRUSTED BY HOSPITALS: Our nipple butter has been chosen by hospital NICUs, medical professionals, and nurses around the country. We're on a mission to free mothers from the fear of breastfeeding during the maternity journey.
The new Nature Smart3 from Availand has been a great discovery. Not only does it make the extraction process quick and easy, but it has several features that make it a winner among the options currently available.
Smart3 technology mimics your baby’s natural suck surprisingly well, helping milk flow quickly and comfortably. You can also regulate the stimulation mode with massage (9 levels), to avoid discomfort during the extraction according to your sensitivity level.
The cup is made of an extra-soft silicone and, although there is only one universal size, its ergonomic shape adapts surprisingly well to different types of breasts. In my case, my nipples are pretty small; it has worked wonderfully.
- Ease of removal with Smart3 technology
- Rechargeable lithium battery
- 2 thread sizes to adapt to any bottle
- The collector is a fair thing
- You have to do the extraction slightly inclined forward
May you also like: Best Convertible Car Seats
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Breast Pump
Most breast pumps have a bottle that can be used directly as a bottle. Even if this is the case, it is pretty helpful to have an extra bottle to alternate between them and to be able to store the milk in one while you use another to feed your baby.
My recommendation is that you try to use the nipples specially designed for breastfeeding, especially if you want to alternate breastfeeding with the breast pump. The one I like the most is the Medela (Calma teat), which has a particular shape that mimics the breast’s mechanism and anatomy.
In this way, you have to suck to activate the milk out of the bottle and the baby does not become “lazy” as it sometimes happens with standard bottles, where the milk flows effortlessly. This will prevent your baby from rejecting the breast as much as possible when starting to use a bottle.
Crown jewel. For me, they are the most comfortable and easiest way to store milk after pumping. They can be easily stored anywhere, you can take them with you without the need for cumbersome packages and you make sure that they will always be well free of microbes when you use them, since every time you release a new one.
I have tried, the ones I like the most are the Philips Avent ones because I find them the most practical. However, if your breast pump is Medela, it may be more convenient for you to use the brand’s own, which are very well coupled to the breast pump.
Disposable Absorbent Pads
Whether you use breast pumps or breastfeed your baby, you may use them to avoid staining your clothes (especially at times of peak production).
For me, the critical point when choosing them is that they are large (about 4 cm), thick so that you do not have to change them at all times and that they have an adhesive to stick to the bra.
Super helpful to warm the bottles comfortably and quickly, ensuring that the milk is always at the optimal temperature for your little one. I discard the microwave option, both for safety and loss of nutrients and because the milk does not heat evenly and it is difficult to control the temperature.
All the pots that you will use to feed your little one (which are not few among bottles, breast pumps, jars, etc.) must be sterilized frequently, so I recommend that you buy a sterilizer instead of being every two for three boiling water. You have them of all kinds:
- Microwave sterilizer: a particular container to which a little water is added and left in the micro 5-6 min.
- Steam sterilizer: like a kettle that has a small compartment for pouring water.
- Cold sterilizer: tablets that are added to the water in which you put the pots.
How To Use An Electric Breast Pump?
You will see that using an electric breast pump is very easy. As soon as you get used to it, it won’t cost you anything. You have to mount it, put the cup on your chest and activate the breast pump.
Once you start, most electric breast pumps will let you regulate the pumping speed to adapt it most comfortably and efficiently for you.
Some women complete one breast before moving on to the other (about 10 minutes/breast). But some prefer to do a combined extraction: 5 minutes in each breast, 3 more minutes in each and two final minutes.
If you use a double extractor, the mechanism is the same, but you will go faster. Even so, for the price they have, I would only recommend a double one if you are going to use it more than once each day.
Here are some tips that were very useful to me to facilitate the process:
- It is essential to express your milk in a place where you feel calm and comfortable.
- It may be helpful to put a photo or video of your baby or see it while you pump your milk, which will help you express your milk more efficiently.
- It also usually helps to stimulate the breasts with hot water or put a warm cloth over it, as it helps to activate the milk-letting reflex.
- It is essential that, before using your electric breast pump for the first time, you calmly read the instructions to assemble it correctly.
- If you are already clear that you will use a breast pump before having the baby, I recommend that you buy it before your child is born to have time to familiarize yourself with him calmly. Do you know that once the little one is accepted, you will have little time of peace?
You can use the homemade method of putting the container in a hot cup (but not very hot!) Water. However, the best option is to use a bottle warmer, which will ensure that all the contents are heated evenly to the ideal temperature for your baby.
In this article, you will find all the information you need to learn more about how to defrost and temper your milk.